Applications Now Open for Capital One SAGE Advice Program
What Is It?
The Capital One SAGE Advice Program is a 6 month development program designed to help 10 Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) owners grow in the areas of financial management, marketing, relationship building, selling to corporations, and strategic planning.
For two days each month, the cohort of 10 meets virtually via Zoom to learn from subject matter experts on the above topics as well as discuss insights gained with one another and two WBE Leaders. The WBE Leaders are seasoned business owners who facilitate cohort discussions focused on applying what is presented each month and are available for one-on-one consultations as requested. Each month, each program participant also meets one-on-one with a Business Resource Partner from Capital One who serves as a liaison to connect her with whatever business resources are needed to enable growth. At the end of the 6 months, each participant has the opportunity to pitch her business to a panel of corporations.
The goal of the program is to make each participant a more strategic and confident business owner, connect each participant to other professionals who can help her business, and enable each participant to create a one page business plan and one year budget to keep her on track to accomplishing her goals.
Please note this program is NOT an opportunity to do business with Capital One.
Who Is Eligible?
The program participant must be:
- A WBCS WBE owner
- In business for at least 3 years
- Have an annual revenue between $250,000 and $2,000,000
- Available to attend all sessions
What is the Cost?
WBEs will not be required to pay any fees unless they cancel after acceptance or do not successfully complete the course. If a WBE cancels after acceptance or does not successfully complete the course, she will be required to pay $150 to WBCS.
When and What are the Sessions?
Sessions will be held over the following dates in 2021: 9/1, 9/2, 10/6, 10/7, 11/3, 11/4, and 12/1. Topics include Design Thinking, Corporate Procurement, Business Plans, Financials and Cash Flow, Access to Capital, Small Business Banking, Budgeting. Brand Positioning, Creating a Marketing Plan, Social Media Strategy, The Power of Messaging, Presenting to a Corporation, Pitch Prep, Selling Essentials, Scaling Your Business, Building your 'A' Team, Finding your Tribe, Human Resources, and Maintaining High Performers.
What's Included During the 6 Months?
- Cohort of 9 sister WBEs with whom you network and grow
- Multiple presentations each month on a business topic
- Dedicated one-on-one meetings and access to one Business Resource Partner from Capital One who connects you with business resources
- Cohort discussions with and access to two WBE Leaders who provide mentorship and one-on-one consultations as requested
- Opportunity to pitch to corporate panel
Time Commitment Over 6 Month
- 50 hours of scheduled presentations, group discussions, and one-on-one meetings
- Your own time to complete your one page business plan, one year budget, and graduation presentation
How Many Applicants Are Accepted?
How Can I Apply?
When is the Application Deadline?
Applications are due by Monday, May 31, 2021 by 11:59pm CST.
What If I’m Not Available During All Session Times?
Because the session times are already set, please do not apply this year if you are not able to attend all sessions. Click here for a list of all session times and topics.
When Will I Be Notified?
On June 4, all applicants will be notified via email whether or not they were accepted.
Who is the Ideal Applicant?
The ideal applicant is a WBE owner who meets the eligibility requirements and:
- Would benefit from creating a one page business plan and one year budget to keep her on track to accomplishing goals
- Is looking to grow in these areas - financial management, marketing, relationship building, selling to corporations, and strategic planning
- Is open to discussing her business’s strengths and weaknesses
How Long is the Application?
Very short. It consists of biographical fields (like name, email, etc.) plus two open-ended questions. One about what your business does/provides. The other about why you want to participate in this program.
How Can I Strengthen My Application?
Thoroughly, yet succinctly, share why you would benefit from this program. Provide insight on goals you’ve been struggling to reach, your ideas as to why you haven’t been able to accomplish them, and why you think this program would set you up for success